- Alyssa Abrahamson
3 of the best gluten free breads ever!
In honor of my 9th anniversary of going gluten and dairy free (August 1, 2012), and this week’s podcast episode, “Going Gluten and Dairy Free - Part 3 (Gluten!),” here are 3 of my favorite gluten (and dairy) free bread recipes.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know how much I love gluten/dairy free baking.
Zucchini Cornbread (Without Corn)
Shalom, it's zucchini season!
1 cup coconut flour 1/4 cup tapioca starch or arrowroot starch 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp sea salt 3 eggs 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk 1/4 cup melted coconut oil 3 Tbsp honey 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)I
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease an 8×8 baking pan or a 10" oven-safe cast iron skillet generously with coconut oil.
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and sea salt.
4. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, and honey.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix together.
6. Fold in shredded zucchini.
7. Pour into the prepared baking dish and flatten it out into an even layer. The batter may seem thick but that's okay.
8. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. The outside should look golden and crusty, but the inside will be soft and fluffy.
Paleo Chocolate Banana Bread
Get ready for the best chocolate banana bread you’ve ever had. It’s dense, moist, and loaded with chocolatey goodness.
4 medium overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 ½ cup mashed banana) 4 large eggs, room temperature ¼ cup melted coconut oil ¼ cup honey 1 tap vanilla extract ¼ cup coconut sugar ¼ teaspoon sea salt 1 ½ cups blanched almond flour ½ cup tapioca flour ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp cacao powder (I recommend cacao, not cocoa, as it's the purest form of chocolate you can consume. Cacao is densely packed with iron, magnesium and antioxidants) 1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp baking soda ¾ cup dark chocolate chips (¼ reserved for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper or grease the sides. 2. Using a mixer or food processor, beat the mashed banana, eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar until evenly combined. 3. Transfer to a large bowl if you used a food processor and add the salt, almond flour, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Mix until evenly combined. 4. Fold in ½ cup chocolate chips using a spatula. 5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips. 6. Bake in the center of the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 7. Let the bread cool for at least 15 minutes before lifting it out of the pan.
The Best Coconut Flour Bread in the World
I’ve made this several times and the flavor is like toasted honey wheat. Yum.
½ cup coconut flour ¾ cup arrowroot starch ½ cup flax meal (you can use ground flax or I grind whole flax in a coffee grinder) 1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp sea salt 7 eggs (whites and yolks separated) ½ cup coconut oil (melted, but not hot) ½ cup full-fat coconut milk 2 Tbsp raw honey
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour (use coconut flour) a standard 9" x 5" loaf pan. 2. In a mixing bowl, combine together the coconut flour, arrowroot starch, flax meal, baking powder, and salt. 3. In another bowl, mix together the egg yolks, melted coconut oil, coconut milk, and honey. 4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. 5. Mix together the dry and wet ingredients (not including the egg whites). 6. Add half of the egg whites and stir in to combine. 7. Add the remaining egg whites and very gently fold in to the mixture. Mixture will be thick as you first start folding the egg white in, but keep carefully folding and it will become smooth. Take care to not over-mix. 8. Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle a little flax meal over the top of the batter and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. 9. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan.
I love to eat it with tahini and jam or with sunny side up eggs on top.
Alyssa, if you’re curious to learn more about gluten and its role in gut health and inflammation, check out today's Episode 32 of my podcast, Positively Anti-Inflammatory, “Going Gluten and Dairy Free - Part 3 (Gluten!).”
Today’s episode is all about gluten. Gluten, along with dairy, is one of the biggest offenders contributing to the rising rates of chronic illness and autoimmune disease we’re seeing today. Listen as I explain what gluten is, how it impacts glut health and contributes to leaky gut aka intestinal permeability. I discuss the link between gluten consumption and inflammation, including what signs, symptoms and conditions associated with inflammation to look for. I share what positive health changes you might experience if you eliminate gluten from your diet and what a gluten free diet looks like.
Love, Your Wellness Coach,
P.S. Email me at email@example.com and let me know your favorite gluten-free recipe and/or if you try one of these!
August 4, 2021